Dear Friend of Wildlife,
What’s the secret to attracting birds to your backyard this autumn?
It’s easy — turn your yard into a National Wildlife Federation Certified Wildlife Habitat® site!
Fall is a great time for bird-watching. Many birds are looking for an inviting place to stop over during their winter migration or even stay for the season.
Here are five helpful tips that are sure to have all the neighborhood birds “tweeting” about your yard this season:
- Provide running water. Birds require water year-round. The sound of running water in a birdbath or pond will be heard by birds from some distance, draw them in for a drink, and possibly a quick dip as well.
- Clean out birdhouses. Make necessary repairs to birdhouses in preparation for species that roost during fall and winter. In many areas, bluebirds, chickadees, nuthatches and winter wrens may take up nightly residence in birdhouses to keep warm and safe.
- Create brush piles. Save your fall clippings of branches and twigs. Then, pile them in a corner of the yard to create cover for birds that prefer habitat on the ground — such as dark-eyed juncos, tree sparrows and white-throated sparrows.
- Increase the number of feeders. In the cooler days of fall, birds increase their food consumption and will continue to do so as the temperature drops.
- Plant evergreens. Planted near feeders and birdbaths, evergreens are perfect for providing cover for birds after deciduous trees lose their leaves.
When you certify your yard by providing birds with the food, water and shelter they need, they’ll thank you by frequenting your yard year-round. Plus, we’ll also thank you with tons of great benefits (see sidebar to right). AND, for a limited time, you’ll also receive a beautiful fall garden flag, free!
Don’t miss out on seeing some of the most beautiful birds of the year — turn your yard into a Certified Wildlife Habitat® site today!
NWF Naturalist, Media
P.S. When you certify your yard today, you’ll be eligible to purchase one of our beautiful yard signs to proudly display the fact that your garden is wildlife-friendly.
*For new members only.
**While supplies last.
Substitutions may apply.
Please allow 4-6 weeks